Friday, February 15, 2008

3rd Week!

Greetings!

Things in Rome are still fabulous, as you would expect... As for the Chinese New Year's parade, well, Marlene and I didn't make it. We ended up staying in bed and just resting all day. It was a nice break from our otherwise non-stop routine.

I was woken Sunday by a wild and crazy group of Italians screaming, "Rebecca! Rebecca!" (in a gorgeous accent) outside my window and the sound of a cigarette pack smacking onto my window. Apparently, the family had gone out (presumably to Mass?) and had forgotten their keys! It was really quite hilarious. We had a wonderful dinner with the family- as we do Sunday through Thursday. After dinner we played soccer and Memory with the boys, and totally wore ourselves out.

Monday and Tuesday we had Italiano and our Lexia class (just Monday for that, though). The Italian is definitely getting better, but it's so much easier for me to read/write it than to speak it just yet. When someone talks to me in Italian, I can understand most to some of what they say, which is really exciting! For example, Marlene and I decided to walk home from school one day and stopped into a caffe' for some sweets (yum!!). The type of pastry I wanted came in two sizes, big or small. So the clerk asked, "Grande o piccolo?" and I was so excited that I understood her, I treated myself to the grande!! Haha, it was DELICIOUS.

Monday night the Lexia crowd decided to meet up at a pub that some of the kids have become regulars at. Marlene and I decided to check it out for a little while, which ended up being until 1:30am (not a good decision! Lol!) So, we were all sitting around and talking and we somehow ended up befriending a couple from Ireland! The guy, David, was originally from Capetown, S.A. but his parents were from Ireland, and after college he went back to Limerick. His finance', Dierdre, was from Kerry, Ir. The two were down for one of Dierdre's friend's weddings, and she showed us absolutely breathtaking photos from the wedding! David was absolutely hysterical- so sarcastic and quick, we all had a great time. We were even invited to stay with them whenever we visit Ireland and we were all invited to their wedding!! (Whenever it happens to be, they didn't have a date set yet...)

On Wednesday we had Italian and then went on a field trip with the Lexia group to the Crypta Balbi. On our walk over, we went by the Piazza Largo Argentina, where Caesar was assassinated. This area is also known as a cat sanctuary - as most of the Roman ruins are, for some reason...

The Crypta Balbi is not a crypt in the sense that English-speakers know it. It is referred to as a crypt because it is a museum pretty much built around and on top of an ancient piazza. Most of ancient Rome is buried under the new(er) Renaissance and turn of the century buildings. As construction was underway for remodeling a building, the Crypta Balbi was found. It is an amazing and innovative museum - it is designed to allow the visitor to look through the walls (and even some of the floors!) in order to better understand the development and changes Rome has encountered over the centuries.

This picture shows the walls of the original building as they are now to the far left, and are gradually restored to what they would have looked like during ancient times (to the right of the picture).





This is a glimpse of looking down through the levels of the museum
to the deepest and most ancient
area of the building.



Here are some other pictures from the Crypta Balbi - from pottery to skeletons!





I saw this chess board and thought of you, Maureen!!



A fresco from one of the areas of the building
that was converted into a church.



Excavation of the Balbi Theater now underway.



An infant's skeleton... apparently it was common to
bury a deceased infant/child in a terracotta pot.


After the museum, our director, Tom, took us over to Rome's "old town," if you will, across the Tiber. We went through the Campo de Fiori (home to Rome's most famous food market by day, and Rome's most famous nightlife by night) and, of course, on our way over we witnessed and learned about some monumental sites of Rome and Italy's recent history. We also saw some pretty intriguing cars...


Totally demolished Smart Car!







Crossing the Tiber was awesome. There were spectacular views in all directions of St. Peter's Basilica and the Roman skyline. Some of my favorite pictures are from the bridge, and they are, as of now, the top of my favorite pictures of all time.






**WARNING: The next two paragraphs discuss shopping, feel free to skip this section!

After our field trip was over, Marlene and I decided to go shopping for purses for me. I had been using my carry-on bag as a school bag and it was MUCH too big and difficult to carry (to give you an idea of size, I can quite literally curl up and fit inside this bag if necessary). We wandered around trying to get back near the Campo de Fiori because there is a street of great (and cheap!) shopping near it. Of course, we couldn't find it and decided to head back home for the evening.

Thursday (Valentine's Day!) was really fun. After Italian, us Lexia kids went out for lunch (which was delicious, of course!) and decided to find me a smaller bag! We looked through all of the street vendors but they were all either too small or too big (but still smaller than what I had been using). After discovering that the discount store near our school was closed from 1:00pm to 3:45pm, we decided to head back to the apartment. Around 4:30pm I decided that I wanted to go to Campo de Fiori to get myself a new bag. We made it over and I did find 2 bags! (Horray!) We continued to window shop and people watch for a while before we decided to head back for dinner.

We caught a bus and saw a MASSIVE protest off of Corso Emmanuele Vittorio and decided to try to figure out what was being protested! Marlene took pictures of the signs that people were carrying, and I noticed that it as predominantly women at this protest. Needless to say, it was a protest for something to do with women's rights. After people watching there and trying to determine exactly what was being protested with no avail, we headed back to the apartment, JUST in time for dinner. (FYI: We found out from out professor, Tom, that the protest was against the Italian government's movement and changing of laws to make abortion illegal in Italy. It has also apparently been brought to the UN by the Italian government).

Italians love St. Valentine's day. Fabio brought Monica a GORGEOUS assortment of roses and lilies, and Monica made a special feast! We had pizza, which was AMAZING, and she made some kind of fish dish, it was weird. After dinner she busted out this unbelievably decadent cake. It was pretty much just a block of sugar, and it was fantastic!! They called it Meringue Glacie or something like that, I'm not positive, but I felt like I was going to need 6 shots of insulin after eating it!

The group of Lexia kids really wanted everyone to go out for a drink in celebration (or opposition to) of Valentine's Day. Marlene didn't want to go because she was exhausted, so I decided to go by myself, and had a great time. Every time I go out with these kids, we meet the most amazing people from all over the world! Tonight, we met a mother & daughter from England.

Friday was pretty calm, Italian class until 12:15, lunch until 1:30, Lexia lecture and discussion until 3:30. After class a few of us decided to venture into MAS the discount store mentioned earlier. The only word that I can use to describe this place is "impressive." It's about the size of 6 Targets (no joke), and about the shopping level of Big Lots/Pic'n'Save/Ross. It was fascinating! Mostly clothes, a little house-wares and furniture section, and a massive shoe department. Most of the things were unbelievably hideous, but my friend Lizz and I were able to find some cute sweatshirts for really cheap! After that adventure, Marlene and I headed home to nap.

Friday night was crazy! I woke up from my nap around 8:30 (went to sleep around 7:00) by Lizz inviting us out to dinner and then out drinking and dancing. After figuring out just HOW to make it back to our apartment without having to pay for a cab, we headed out. We didn't end up getting to the restaurant until close to 10:00pm. Needless to say, we were starving! I ordered some bruschetta and a FABULOUS "Quattro Formaggio" pizza that changed my life. After dinner, we all headed out to Campo de Fiori to check out the nightlife. We ended up in a pub called "The Bulldog Inn!" (Yay, Redlands!) And befriended the DJ who really liked one of the girls, Nina. After the DJ's shift was over, we wandered around trying to find a discoteca because everyone really wanted to dance. By this time, it was about 2:30am, and by the time we got to one of the clubs it was closing for some reason. We didn't know where any other club was and wandered around and found some other American students that Lizz had mutal friends with back in Boston! (Small world!!) We decided that it was definitely time to call it a night after getting totally lost while trying to find a bus. Marlene and I made it back to the apartment at 5:00am!! It was ridiculous! ...I have decided that night's like last night are not for me (duh!). I need to be in bed by 3:00am at the VERY LATEST!

As for the rest of the weekend (and semester!!), I'm hoping to keep it early nights! Next weekend Marlene, Nina, Lizz, and I are hoping to make it out to Venice! Hopefully that will work out!! :] I hope everyone is doing well and having at least half the fun I am!!

Love to everyone,
Becca

(This is from an alcove in one of the churches of the Crypta Balbi)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

read.


also, bridge pic, it sucks. you should definitely not frame it and give me a copy.